Monday, May 3, 2010

Q&A: Yep, There's An App For That

Dear Jackie,


I'm one of those gals who would be totally lost without my iPhone. It's in my hand so much it might as well me surgically attached to my palm! I use it for everything, and I'd like to use it for my home renovation projects. Got any tips?


Steve Jobs Fangirl



Dear Fangirl,


Yep, there's an app for that. Actually, there are a LOT of apps for that -- if by "that" you mean design projects! The Apple iPhone App Store is full of thousands of apps for just about everything imaginable, and design is no exception.


My favorites are the color applications by Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, and Pantone. All offer variations of the same thing: select colors within photos you have stored on your phone or that you take with your phone's built-in camera, match the color to a paint offered by the manufacturer, and find coordinating colors with a flick of your finger.


Here's a demonstration of the Benjamin Moore app. It's pretty sweet.





In addition to the color apps, there are apps to help with other aspects of your design projects. iHandyLevel is a level that you could use to hang a picture in a pinch, and the IKAPP from IKEA can help you plan your whole house using the Swedish giant's wares.


All I ask is that you be careful when you're doing an at-home DIY project with your iPhone nearby. If you're not careful, you could accidentally glue your iPhone to your hand for real!






Via Apartment Therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment