Friday, May 7, 2010

ALTER Alert: Design Blahg

Dreamy pictures of perfectly cut and arranged hydrangea in a mason jar... Pixie-like waifs in soft focus walking through a sun-dappled flower garden... Delicious and good-for-you raw food vegan dinners with just-right garnishes... Perfectly manicured toes in the latest adorable peep-toe shoes...


Fuck all that.


You know I'm a design blog addict, but seriously, sometimes this aspirational "I'm living in an Anthropologie catalogue" is just too much! Who lives like that? Not me! Right now my Xbox cords are all over my living room, there are dirty dishes in my sink, and I took a nap with makeup on so I'm pretty sure I have eyeliner over half my face.


For a refreshing spin on the design world, check out Design Blahg. These are chicks after my own heart: potty-mouthed, cynical, and hilarious.




The new kid on the block, Design Blahg is the creation of Erica Reitman, whose previous endeavors have included Dear Famous Asshole and Fucked in Park Slope. (TOLD YOU she's potty-mouthed.) She's like a lot of us: no formal training in interior design, but a great enthusiasm for it. (She claims to own every issue of Domino, ever.)


Other contributors are Anna Goldfarb and Greg Reitman (Erica's husband). You have to check out Anna's recurring "Things In His House That Make Me Sad" articles -- any lady who's gone to a dude's house for the first time and seen his... "unfortunate" design choices will feel me on this.


Other posts include snarky reviews of home good catalogues, rants about Apartment Therapy's Smallest, Coolest contest, and raves over the new Bravo show "9 By Design."


Sure, the other "decornographers" of those glam design blogs can bake a pretty cupcake, but I sure as hell know who I'd rather get a drink with.

No comments:

Post a Comment